Popular culture: The impact of television
From its introduction in the 1950s television has been a popular feature of Australian homes. It has provided millions of people with access to important historical, sporting and cultural events in a way that was not previously possible. Television is significant not only in providing entertainment but as a way to shape societal perspectives through mass communication and inclusive participation.
- How were events and information communicated before the invention of the television? How has this changed since television was introduced?
- What type of events, information and messages can television communicate?
- How has this engagement with global events and culture affected Australian society?
- Click on record links below to see more primary sources.
- Click on the 'about' tab attached to some of the records to learn about that record.