Canberra: Change and continuity
In 1908 the site for the capital city of Australia, Canberra, was chosen. Australia’s federal Parliament House would be the focal point for this new planned city. Originally farm land, the area around Parliament House has been transformed into a busy city which is now home to thousands of people.
- Compare the original plan for Canberra with the aerial view from 1988. How is modern Canberra similar to the original plan?
- What are the main differences between the old Parliament House and the new one? Why do you think they needed to move from Old Parliament House?
- How has the built environment around Australian Parliament House changed since the early days of Canberra? Why do you think it has changed?
- Click on record links below to see more primary sources.
- Click on the 'about' tab attached to some of the records to learn about that record.